Saturday 2 April 2016

Santiago and Pucon


After more than two years I am returning to explore more of South America.

I left home at lunch time on March 19 and arrived in Santiago airport March 19 at 1pm where I was very kindly met by my friends Pau and Lucho who took me out to lunch. They had spent a year traveling and working in NZ which is where I met them some years ago.

Después de dos años tengo volver a Sud America para explorar. 

Salé de casa Marzo 19 y llegué en Santiago el mismo dia. Mis amigos Pau y Lucho me buscaron al aeropuerto y me llevaron a almorzar. Yo les conocí cuando pasaron un año viajando y trabajando en NZ hace unos años.

Lucho, Pau and me



La Plaza del Armas 

View from Sans Cristabel of Santiago
Mirador del Sans Cristabel


From Santiago I took an overnight bus to Pucon. This town is set beside Lake Villarrica and the Villarrica volcano. It is like the Queenstown of Chile but on a smaller scale. I stayed at La Poza campsite which is in a lovely setting surrounded by lots of trees but has been badly neglected. The showers and toilet block werre run down and filthy.

In Pucon I signed up with a guiding company to climb Volcan Villarrica. This volcano forms the dramatic back drop to the town and last year it erupted spewing ash as far as Argentina. At night time you can see the fire raging in the crater from Pucon.

Desde Santiago viaje en bus a Pucon durante el noche. El pueblo esta al lado del Lago Villarrica y Volcan Villarrica. El pueblo es como Queenstown en NZ pero es mas pequeña. Me quedé en el camping La Poza por un noche. Fue un lugar muy lindo con muchas arboles pero las duchas y baños estaban sucias.


Quería subir al Volcan Villarrica entonces me organizé ir con una compania de guia. El año pasado este Volcan entre en erupcíon. La ceniza voló a muchas partes de Chile y hasta Argentina. Por la noche se podia ver el fuego desde la montaña.


Volcan Villarrica

At 6am twelve of us assembled at Aquaventura guiding company ready to climb the volcano. I noticed in our packs we even had gas masks for the trip. We were driven up to the ski field on the mountain where we were to start our climb. The weather was cold, windy and misty. Fortunately CONAF (National Forest Corporation) not the guides made the decision that it was not safe to climb the mountain.

I was not particularly upset about this and happy to save the $200 fee for something else. As previously arranged my pack and I were left on the mountain to start the Villarrica Traverse. The parting words of the guides were that there was no one else in the national park but me. Undeterred I set off with my monstrously heavy pack. As I struggled under the weight the mist lifted and I got my first close up view of the mountain.



A las seis de la mañana encontramos en la tienda del guía. Doce personas estuvieron listos para ascender a la montaña. Fuimos en bus hasta la zona de esquí, arriba de la montaña. El clima no estaba bien. Hacía frío y mucho viento y niebla. Afortunadamente CONAF (Corporacion Nacional Forestal) decidieron que no podríamos ascender seguramente el volcán.



No estuve muy triste. Hice una excursión en el parque nacional Villarrica – la traversa Villarrica. Me dejaron sola en la montaña y empecé la excursión. Los guías me dijeron “No hay nadie en el parque ahora”... igual no tenía miedo.  Cuando se levantó la neblina pude ver la cima de la montaña ahora de cerca.

2 comments:

  1. Me gustaría hacer un viaje por Chile, y estoy viendo opciones de cabañas en cabanasenpucon.com pero no sé cuál arrendar. ¿Tienes alguna recomendación de cabañas en Pucón para una pareja? ¡Muchísimas gracias por adelantado!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fui a Pucon en 2016. No puede recommendar la Poza. Me quedé in una carpa. Lo siento, no conozco otra opciones

    ReplyDelete